Different pronunciation.
How come no-one seems to read anymore? If I bring a book somewhere, because I was reading it on the 40 minute tube journey to central London, I get looked at like I'm weird. Not on the train itself but when I get to wherever the latest Oratory piss up is. I'm not reading the book when other people are there, I only have it so when I'm alone I have something to do.
I mean people my age do read, so it can't be that outrageous that I read too. It just seems that no-one reads for enjoyment, and it's that concept that no-one can wrap their head around (I'm generalising here, this isn't everyone).
Maybe this why our generation is perceived as stupid. If we stop doing things like reading, then our vocabulary becomes limited and we just sound less intelligent. If we can't be seen to have the intellectual capacity to formulate arguments and have cohesive ideas, then nothing we ever do will be given the respect or attention that it may or may not deserve. Punctuating sentences with 'like' just won't cut it.
Oh I don't know. I guess it makes me look better by comparison.
Saturday, 5 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
In fairness, that night I did have a John Grisham in my bag. I did today, and have done all week. I think its just the face that it was in your pocket. No one would look twice with it being in a bag.
It is true that no one reads for enjoyment anymore.
Look at Alf. He is one of the most talented pupils in our year and he only reads when forced to...
I dont think that skills in spoken language have much relation to intelligence, and i think most modern people are aware of it, especially in today's multicultural environment. Arguementative skills may have worked in the past as an indication of intelligence but that is only because of the class system and levels/types of education recieved depending on class, i think this is the case with most countries. But these days, not to mention the effect of having second/third/fourth lanquages to have to argue in, there are so many smart entrepreneurs (spl?) etc. who are not the best speakers.
As for reading, people are too concerned with time these days and i feel have misjudged what is a 'waste of time' and what isn't.
That's the exact thing I'm talking about. Joe O'Gorman spen the whole of Fifth form form periods going "book book" and "reading" in a high pitched voice at me.
It makes you a better person, so why stop doing it?
What I was trying to say is that teenagers are a misaligned enough ag group already, if we don't do things that mark us as thinking people, then no-one will care what we have to say.
You can have great ideas, and be a great entrepeneur and all that, but how many will succeed if they don't have the words to properly express themselves, which you acuire through osmosis almost, by reading.
hmmm, i dunno; i believe that reading is more important for widening imagination and opening our minds to possibilities. For me i feel linguistic skills are really just a sort of 'bonus' they bring.
I dont think its the linguistic skills are any longer neccessary for success, but a well read person is more likely to be a more interesting person to work with, someone who could bring more ideas to a workplace, somebody who can place things in a wider context and probably be more tolerant and cultured. So I agree reading is important and should be encouraged at our age, but for different reasons. The problem is technology has provided more 'lazy' paths to entertainment that i admit are much more tempting.
Post a Comment